Monday, February 28, 2005

Laundry (in the sky with diamonds)

Funny story (with gratuitous Beatles references)...


Doing the laundry / placating the baby

So our washer is getting on in its years and has recently developed the very bad habit of doing the hippy-hippy shake when it hits the spin cycle. Those of you mature enough to have your own washers and/or dryers can imagine what I'm talking about... it sort of wiggles and thumps with every revolution. Unfortunately, our washing machine is placed in a rather tight spot at the end of our hall, between our bedroom and the bunny bedroom (did I mention we have 2 pet rabbits?). In addition, little Gabi's crib is on the wall, just on the other side of where our twisting, shouting washing machine is going all helter-skelter.

Most of the time we just let it be, but yesterday I thought I should try to do something to chill it out. I discovered that the washer danced less if I sat on it, so that's what I did (I got a ticket to ride on the washing machine). In the meantime, Mama was trying to get Gabi to get back to sleep (without success) and was in need of some help. Inspiration struck her that we should come together and tackle both problems at the same time. So she handed me the baby and got the camera out.

I wasn't sure whether this would work, but I should have known better than to doubt my intrepid wife, because it worked perfectly. Gabi was soon sleeping like a... like a paperback writer in a yellow submarine on penny lane.

My apologies to John, Paul, George, and Ringo. I also realize that the last few were a stretch--more of a stretch than the others--a sure sign that I should think about wrapping this up and going to bed.

We were informed this evening that placing the baby on top of the washing machine is a fairly commonly used techique for lulling her. I would like to add my personal testimony that this works. It is also a great way to keep your washing machine from escaping loudly down the hall.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's like the song title game on "Whose Line?"!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you put in all those links, because I didn't even know all of those were songs, much less Beatles songs. Oh, and if you think that your washing machine is bad, you should come do a bit of laundry in good ol' Jester East. The washers all leak and the water seeps over to the dryers. It does not make for a very effective drying system.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful little girl! Congratulations to you both. I hope all is well with you.

Mikey said...

I am totally going to teach Gabi how to make puns and other assorted
bad jokes. It's going to be awesome!